… this post is a follow-up to my post about the KAUST 2 bedroom townhouses. In that post, I describe the KAUST housing situation in a bit more detail. If you have not yet read that post, I suggest you read it first.
We decided it was time for a bit more space, so we recently moved from a 2 bedroom townhouse to a 2 bedroom detached house.
As I said in my previous post:
There are several different types of houses here and they are all pretty much variations on the same theme. For the most part a two-bedroom townhouse is pretty similar to all the other two-bedroom townhouses at KAUST. They’ll have slightly different proportions and back yards for instance, but the inside is mostly the same – and with the same or similar furnishings too.
That said, definitely don’t confuse a “detached” house from a “townhouse”. The detached ones have a lot more space. The detached 2-br has the follow differences from the 2-br townhouses:
- Detached has 2 living rooms – one upstairs one downstairs, townhouse has only one.
- Detached has a single car garage, townhouse does not (driveway only)
- Detached has an office, townhouse does not
- Detached has a larger kitchen with more storage and a separate pantry.
- Detached has more built-in closets/storage – in garage, maids room, kitchen, and master bedroom.
- Detached in Gardens Neighborhood have large balconies off the upstairs living room (island detached 2brs have a much smaller balcony with high walls). We’ve used this balcony almost every day since we moved in – it’s great!
- Our townhouse had a much nicer back yard – but the KAUST back yards vary considerably from house to house and house size is really not an indicator of yard size.
- Obviously, you also pay more for the upgraded accommodation. (Check with your move coordinator for pricing info).
Below are photos of the 2-br detached before we moved in. You can find photos of the 2-br townhouse in my previous post. All of the furniture and furnishings in the photos have been provided by KAUST:
I know how hard it can be to decide which house to choose based on a floorplan and inventory list. I hope that by sharing this info here, I can help others who are moving to or within KAUST to feel more informed.
Have I missed anything here? Feel free to add your experiences with 2-br houses below! Or, ask any questions you may have.
Follow me on social media: